PLEASE RESPECT MY COPYWRITE AND DO NOT COPY OR PIN PHOTOGRAPHS OR TEXT FROM THIS BLOG. THANK YOU.
Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Save Our Hedgehogs

For more information please go to http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/hedgehog-street.html

Sunday 19 February 2012

Family pieces.

Hello Folks!  Hope everyone is in fine fettle.  When I went to bed last night I was surprised to see it was snowing heavily and about an inch deep covering already.  This morning it was still on the ground, but a lovely crisp morning.  I was up at around 7.30 and after feeding and fussing Sid I made sure all the birds had a good breakfast too, within minutes of returning to the house there were blackbirds, starlings, great and blue tits, a robin and a sweet little wren hopping about.  Sorry no photos, I'll try and remedy that over the week though.

Last week I FINALLY made room for the lovely Indian Tree dining set I found in November, which incidentally was used for out Christmas dinner setting.  It's been on a tray on the dining table ever since!  The only place I could house it was in the Welsh dresser cupboard (after sorting it out).  Whilst going through all the crockery that was in there I re-discovered three pieces that I've known since childhood.
My Aunt (Mom's identical twin) sadly died just over four years ago, I must take after her as she too was a collector (this gene missed my Mom completely!).  My cousin isn't a collector and really had little interest in Aunties treasures.  Most were bound for various charity shops, though he did tell me to have anything I wanted.  Here are three of those items....



A sweet pair of bunnies on a Hornsea Pottery Daisy jug.
The Cyclamen was a gift back in October from my dear Brother and Sister in Law, it's been blooming it's heart out ever since!


In close up


This back stamp was used by Hornsea between 1956 - 1962. 
I'm pretty certain it would have been an early one as I was born in 1956 and can always remember it!

Then there was this...


A Hornsea Fawn Posy log


Sweet isn't it?


Again, this was an early piece.  The back stamp was used between 1962 and 1967.

And finally,


A SylvaC 8" Swan vase from their Riverside Range.


and the back stamp


This style was used from 1969 until 1982
but again this is a 60's piece.

I do like them, and they hold many memories but I rarely display them - do you have pieces you rarely display but hold happy memories too?

Just a quick note,  I took the photos in the conservatory on the floor as the light was so much better in there.  The cream woollen rug they're standing on was rescued a couple of years ago.  During one of my (many) charity shop visits it was rolled up in the sorting room doorway, as I was after a cosy rug I asked if it was going to be put out for sale?  The manager said it was too dirty and they were going to 'skip it'.  I asked to have a better look, and realised it just needed a deep clean.  I asked if I made a donation could I have it?  They said yes, and suggested £2.  It came up a treat and is 100% pure wool - bargain or what?

Thank you all for your continuing visits and lovely comments, I feel really honoured to have such sweet blogging friends :o)

Have a great week!


p.s.
Pam at Bayside Rose has posted about a precious family piece too :o)












10 comments:

Unknown said...

Such beautiful pieces! Heirloom pieces are my favorites. I know you enjoy these.

Have a great week!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh Rose, I love your pottery pieces! esp the daisy jug.

Kelly said...

Those are very pretty pieces. I'm not really a collector myself, but love to look at other peoples collections. You're lucky to have pretty white snow today. All we got was rain. It has been such a mild winter for us this year. I doubt we'll see snow this late in the season. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting me too.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I am in a fine fettle today :) Love that!

Those are sweet pieces. I've never heard of Hornsea before. Can't believe you got so much snow. We haven't seen any snow this year which is very very strange. We kind of skipped winter and are in spring two months early!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

These are beautiful pieces Rose.

Yes, I do have treasures not always displayed. I bring them out once in awhile.

Leanne said...

lol, I have all those pieces!! In a box in the loft, with maybe another 20 or so more! I just dont have room to have them all out anymore, but cant seeem to part with anything either!

Leanne x

Debbie~ said...

Dear Rose, thank you so much for asking, it made me feel good that someone thought about me. I wrote a long message to you, but somehow it got lost, I'll try to re-write it in the next day or two. Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

The Natural Ingredient said...

I really enjoyed your site, very interesting. I look forward to reading more.

Unknown said...

Love the pottery here ^-^

Josh xx

Julie said...

I've never seen Hornsea Pottery. Those pieces are great! What is your secret to keeping cyclamen plants nice? I have bought a couple of small ones this winter and they don't last more than a week or two.